What is COBIT 5?May 2nd, 2013 by Jamie Titchener
COBIT ® (Control Objectives for Information and Related Technology) is an IT governance control framework, developed by ISACA and the IT Governance Institute. The current version of COBIT is COBIT 5, which was released on 10 April 2012.
COBIT helps organisations to:
- Align IT with the objectives of the organisation, enabling it to achieve its goals through the use of technology
- Manage the level of risk posed by IT to the organisation and keep it to an acceptable level
- Streamline and optimise the cost of IT and related services
- Maintain compliance with laws, regulations, standards, policies, procedures and agreements.
COBIT 5 integrates several different frameworks and standards, including:
If you want to find out what the differences are between COBIT 4.1 (COBIT 5’s predecessor) and COBIT 5, read my blog posts here:
All of the current COBIT 5 official publications are available from IT Governance as we are one of only a few of ISACA’s official distributors:
- COBIT 5 Publication Suite
- COBIT 5
- COBIT 5 – Enabling Processes
- COBIT 5 Implementation
- COBIT 5 for Information Security
- Securing Mobile Devices Using COBIT 5 for Information Security
COBIT 5 is a framework that all IT governance, risk and compliance managers should be aware of and using.